Blogs > Pemberton's Point

Inside look at high school and Oakland University sports from Oakland Press sports writer Dave Pemberton.

Friday, August 21, 2009

Kangas signs with Spanish team Rosalia

Former Oakland star Erik Kangas has signed with Rosalia of Santiago, Spain according to OU Athletics. Rosalia plays in the LEB Silver League.

"This is a once in a lifetime experience, not many people can say they've done this," Kangas told OU Athletics. "I get to go to a great country, where there are a lot of neat cities to visit and I'm getting paid to play basketball. You can't really get much better."

Kangas ended his career as arguably the best outside shooter in Oakland history. He owns the school record for career 3-pointers and 3-pointers in a season, as well as the Summit League single-season recored for 3-pointers. He averaged 3.9 3-pointers per game last season, which was third in the nation.

The sharpshooter also had a knack for hitting big shots, nailing several game-winners during his time at Oakland.

"Since I got to play a lot and showcase myself at OU, that really helped out," Kangas told OU Athletics. "The coach over there watched my games from OU and really liked me. Going through, learning all our offenses and the toughness our coaches taught here have prepared me to go over there."

Kangas is the second member of the 2009 senior class to sign a professional contract. Earlier this month, Dan Waterstradt signed with CSU Pitesti in Romania.

"I'm really happy to sign with Pitesti," Waterstradt told OU Athletics. "I am chasing my dream of playing basketball professionally. I want to thank all the OU fans and alumni that helped and encouraged me to keep working hard. Also I want to thank the OU coaching staff for helping me get to where I am as a player and person."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kangas was one of the best shooter I have seen in person. He hit so many clutch shots over the course of his career.

Best of luck to him from this ORU fan.

August 23, 2009 at 10:14 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Kango!

August 24, 2009 at 7:19 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 17, 2009 at 5:19 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home