Blogs > Pemberton's Point

Inside look at high school and Oakland University sports from Oakland Press sports writer Dave Pemberton.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Bachrouche verbally commits to OU women

North Farmington’s Jenna Bachrouche knew exactly who to turn to when she needed advice on the recruiting process, her sister Katya, who is a swimmer at Virginia.

With the help of Katya, Jenna Bachrouche decided Oakland was the best place to continue her basketball career and verbally committed to the Golden Grizzlies.

“She went on the official visit with me,” Jenna Bachrouche said of her sister. “She told me it’s a good program and growing. (Coach Beckie Francis) really cared. Some coaches just recruit, Oakland really wanted me and that played a part. They really cared about my family, me and everything.”

The 6-foot Bachrouche picked Oakland over offers from Vermont, Cincinnati, UMKC and IUPUI among others. Oakland’s campus being so close to home also helped Bachrouche make her decision.

“My grandma really loves watching me play and it’s close enough for her to watch me, which is good,” Bachrouche. “My parents and friends can all watch me too.”

Bachrouche’s family played an important role in her decision and posed the perfect question to help her make up her mind.

“I had been talking to my family about it and they asked, ‘Why you wouldn’t go there?’ and I couldn’t really come up with a reason,” Bachrouche said. “I think basically it seemed like the right time, it wasn’t too late and it wasn’t too early. It just felt right.”

Bachrouche has had plenty of battles over the years against Oakland’s incoming freshman and former Lake Orion star Bethany Watterworth, who also helped her decide on Oakland.

“I’ve been playing against her for a long time in AAU and high school,” Bachrouche said. “I met her when I went to an open gym at Oakland and she was really nice. I look forward to playing with her.”

Bachrouche averaged 15 points and eight rebounds last year for the Raiders and helped North Farmington reach the Class A semifinals as a sophomore. Bachrouche hopes to have a memorable senior season and is glad the recruiting process is over so she can concentrate on high school.

“I just want to mentor the younger kids, get them to get better,” Bachrouche said of her goals for her senior year. “Just help lead the team as much as I can. Hopefully we will make it far this year and just have fun.”

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I just want to mentor the younger kids, get them to get better,” Bachrouche said of her goals for her senior year. “Just help lead the team as much as I can. Hopefully we will make it far this year and just have fun.”
Sightline Paymentsbingo games

June 16, 2011 at 5:05 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home