Blogs > Pemberton's Point

Inside look at high school and Oakland University sports from Oakland Press sports writer Dave Pemberton.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hamilton to transfer to Oakland

Oakland added a familiar face to its recruiting class with the addition of guard Reggie Hamilton, who is transferring in from Summit League rival UMKC (University of Missouri-Kansas City). Hamilton plans to start summer classes next week at Oakland.

“I am pretty familiar with the program,” Hamilton said. “I like their style of play and coach (Greg) Kampe is a well-respected coach. The program has had a lot of success, and I think the coaching staff and the people they bring in are a big part of that. That’s why I had a lot of interest in the program.”

Hamilton left the UMKC program in late-January after meeting with the coaching staff and agreeing it wasn’t a good fit.

“Mostly the style of play, really didn’t fit me,” Hamilton said. “Me and the coaches agreed that it wasn’t a perfect fit for my style of play.”

Hamilton averaged 12.6 points and 3.6 assists per game in 21 games last season and 11.7 points, 3.3 assists and 3.2 rebounds as a freshman at UMKC.

After being granted his release from UMKC, Hamilton said he talked to the Oakland coaching staff and Oakland point guard Johnathon Jones.

“I talked to couple players,” Hamilton said. “I have a lot of respect for Johnathon Jones. He’s one of the best guards in the conference. To practice with him for one year will be great for me. I talked to him during the season (while at UMKC). I thought that was a big rival for me. We always had good games against each other. It will be great for me to learn from one of the better point guards in the league.”

Hamilton will have to sit out the 2009-10 season, but will have two years of eligibility after that. Hamilton said he gets asked a lot of what it will be like to go against his former team, but he’s not really worried about it.

“I have no hard feelings towards the UMKC program,” Hamilton said. “I’m still cool with the players. There will be no emotions going into that when I’m able to play again.”

Several other schools were interested in signing Hamilton, including Wichita State, Missouri State, Northern Iowa and Baylor.

Hamilton is originally from Chicago and attended Thornwood High School, the same high school as current New York Knicks center Eddy Curry.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome stuff, thanks Dave!

April 28, 2009 at 8:06 PM 
Anonymous Grizz Fan said...

Are there any penalities eg no scholarship for students to transer to other Summit League schools? I know other conferences have those types of rules.

But Hamilton sounds like a good pick up for Oakland in the Post JJ era.

May 4, 2009 at 10:00 AM 
Blogger Dave Pemberton said...

There is no penalty for Hamilton, other than sitting out a year, because UMKC released him to Oakland.

May 7, 2009 at 3:52 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home