Blogs > Pemberton's Point

Inside look at high school and Oakland University sports from Oakland Press sports writer Dave Pemberton.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Volleyball season is here

I’ve been busy today working on my volleyball preview, basically calling every coach I can and seeing what they have coming back. Last season was a banner year for Oakland County volleyball with three teams making it to the state finals and Pontiac Notre Dame Prep becoming the first team in the county to ever win a state title. Hopefully volleyball can get a streak of state titles going. Maybe being in the fall will be the difference and the winter was just bad luck this whole time.

I don’t think it’s any shock to anyone that Birmingham Marian is the team most likely to make a run at a state title. The Mustangs return just about everybody from their Class A runner-up squad and will be even better with another year of experience. Several other teams could make runs, but I’ll let you wait until my volleyball preview comes out to see who I think it might be.

Most teams will be taking part in tournaments this Saturday so I hope to have my preview out in the next week or two. There will be an interesting tourney at West Bloomfield that the Lakers coach told me about. A lot of the top teams in the county will be there along with some talented teams from outside Oakland County.

Well I hope to have more updates now that the fall high school season is kicking off. Thanks for reading.

NOTE: Any Oakland County volleyball coaches reading this that I haven’t talked to fell free to E-mail me information about your team to dave.pemberton@oakpress.com Please include a phone number in case I have any follow up questions. Thanks.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home